Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Baby Don't Hurt Me pt. 2

Welcome back! And here is the continuation of my previous post, although I feel like they could be longer, they're not! Hopefully you stuck around and actually enjoy reading me ramble. If you're reading the second part first I'll word the beginning as if you don't have to read the first part, but the back-story is always what makes it interesting.

Knowing our situations I'm sort of stuck at what love it is. Scrolling through social media you find all sorts of sappy posts that you've read a thousand times in a thousand different ways. Like most things, social media has distorted what love really is. On the one hand you get the always positive people who never seem to have any problems, who, in my opinion, are either the best liars or most delusional people out there. Let me know if you can find the fine line between them. Then we have the people who always seem to jump from one rotten relationship to another. They also are the ones who never have anything good or hopeful to say about ever finding a relationship. So now we're scared as to which category we will fall under. Either way we're going to irritate our social media followers with nothing but lovey-dovey posts or hateful statuses throughout or time with this particular significant other. Unless you're like me, and regardless of relationship statuses, you are forever faithful to posting about your cat or pictures of cats in general.

In my opinion, take it for what it's worth, it's neither of the above. Going back to the beginning of the first part, I firmly believe it's somewhere between fairy tale and situational convenience. Call it "settling for less;" I call it making the best with what you have. Nobody is perfect. We're all individuals so we have our own views as to what is the best way to execute certain tasks, solve the same problem differently, so on and so forth. It's what makes us individuals.

I feel like our sense of individuality is what keeps us from finding that "perfect" person, because we're never going to find them. Our way of thinking is always going to get in the way. To form a lasting relationship it's got to be both people giving the other 100 percent to each other. If you're not giving it your all, then you're not going to work out. That doesn't go to say that you need to forget about yourself during your relationship. You always have to take care of yourself first, otherwise if you're not happy, how can you be happy with someone else?

Trust, communication, empathy, and support are the factors that make a relationship work. Yes sex is all well and good, and a lot of money might sweeten the relationship, and even being more than adequately attractive is a plus. However, all of these things change. Sex is nothing without emotion. Sure a hook-up might relieve sexual tension, but its the same old song and dance without that certain someone to make it enjoyable. A job might not last forever; all you need is enough to pay the bills and maintain your living situation. And looks fade. You're not going to look nearly as attractive when you're old and can't move like you could when you were twenty. The person who sticks around for the twinkle in your eye and the smile in your laughter, who supported you during a financial crisis is who will make you happy. I think so at least.

And there we go. I feel like there's a whole lot more I was going to say, but since I didn't have an outline to go by I sort of winged it. I wanted to put something in there about how people show affection differently, and not misinterpreting that with emotional neglect. Something about patience, and something else about overcoming communication boundaries. It's all really blurry and I don't remember, but now ya know! Good night everyone! I have to get up soon, so bye!

-Amber